Rector's Message to Students about suspension of classes and face-to-face assessments
As you probably know, the evolution in the last days of the epidemiological situation in Portugal caused by COVID-19 disease, has determined today the adoption of new measures by the Government, which introduce constraints on the activity of universities.
Bearing in mind the guidelines issued by the Office of the Minister of Science, Technology and Higher Education on 21 January (https://www.dges.gov.pt/pt/pagina/covid-19-avisos), we consider it of utmost importance to ensure the conclusion of the 1st semester in compliance, as far as possible, with the established school calendar, avoiding negative impacts on the next semester.
Therefore, I determine that:
1. The approved school calendar for the academic year 2020/21 (Order RT. 51/2020) be adjusted as a result of the extension of one week in the 1st semester;
2. The end of the 1st semester must take place by 30 January and all classroom activities (classes and evaluations) are suspended from 22 January 2021 until further notice. Specifically, the face-to-face evaluations scheduled for January 22nd and 23rd may be carried out during the following week, at a distance, on a date to be set by the teachers responsible for them;
3. The dates for the regular and appeal examinations are now scheduled from 1 to 27 February 2021;
4. The exams will be held at a distance, adjusted to the specificities of teaching and learning carried out in a non face-to-face regime;
5. The postponement of the beginning of the 2nd semester to March 1st, 2021, in a non face-to-face teaching regime, unless the change of circumstances allows the resumption of the face-to-face regime, which will be preferential.
For students with difficulties of access to the Internet, the exams may be held on univerity campus, in places to be indicated in due course by the Pedagogical Councils of the respective Faculty/School, ensuring their completion in strict compliance with legislation, standards and guidelines of the Directorate General of Health, with regard to simultaneous occupation, physical distance, use of personal protective equipment (mask), ventilation and strengthening of hygiene measures.
I take this opportunity to once again appeal to your civic sense and responsibility for strict compliance with the measures issued by the Directorate General of Health to actively contribute to the fight against the pandemic. We are counting on you!
I wish you every success in school and good health.Best regards, Paulo Águas